Thursday, October 4, 2007

this love is like a ball and chain

last tuesday i was doing just fine, all things considering. i was excited as all hell to be flying up to San Francisco the next night, but generally speaking, life was trudging along as normal. let me just preface this, my first post in a shiny new blog, by saying that I've been itching to move up to that great city for quite some time now... let's call it a year and a half. san diego is everything it is supposed to be: beautiful, warm pretty much year round, bleached blonde and fake-baked. comfortable. while this may sound pleasant, and perhaps dare i say "ideal" to some, to my nomadic soul the lack of adventure that this coastal community provides is really starting to drag me down.

back to tuesday night... i had a fabulous episode of my radio show, supported by my fabulous cohost for the evening, Chris. it truly was fabulous... we had something like 7 callers (which, by the way, is a record high for Happy Hours at the Speakeasy), an on-air MC battle, and a dozen or so friend requests for the show-space (http://myspace.com/kksmhappyhours). wednesday was glorious. i aced a history midterm, did mediocre on an art history midterm, finished up work, and off to the airport i went. "goodbye san diego, ill miss my bed," i thought to myself.

there is nothing like stepping off a plane and directly into the company of friends you love and miss. it also helps when they have a stinky, stinky bowl waiting for you. a welcoming committee of sorts. straight to the bar for more friends, games of pool i actually played decently, several rounds of drinks.... glorious.

the rest of the week went by entirely too fast. i almost felt as though i wasn't on vacation at all, and instead i actually lived in san francisco. everyday something new to see, someone else to hang out with, a new place to take pictures. every night my neck hurt from craning it skyward all day driving around the city. my legs were sore from hiking to the bustop to catch the 43 to haight and masonic and go shopping with a friend. glorious.

sooner or later tuesday night was bound to come along. i said goodbye to the people who had ditched their obligations for a week to hang out with me. i said goodbye to kitty kitty. the sinking feeling in my stomach set in as i said goodbye to the golden gate bridge as the airplane took off. i was made even more painfully aware of that particular feeling when i walked in through the front door of the house ive lived in for almost a year (a rediculously long time for my comforts) and was overwhelmed by the scent of dog. not so glorious.

now ive come along to the point in my story which has not only prompted me to start this new blog, but has also severely affected my mood for the past three days. as i drive around oceanside, i think about all the things that are familiar to me. the curve mesa drives makes as a wind my way to work, the rhythm of the cars at the four way stop as they take their turn maneuvering down foussat, my frustration in getting up early but missing every light and getting to work late anyways. the irritatingly fresh out of high school gaggle of boys in my photography class that make it impossible to learn anything new.

so now i sit at my desk in my glorified cubicle at work, the same place ive sat monday through friday from eight to four-thirty everyday for the past two years, with the exception of legal holidays, weekends, and brief spurts of vacation. san francisco cant come soon enough.

No comments: